Wednesday, July 21, 2010

A Day In The Life Of A Columnist

As we noted earlier, there is nothing to report/blog on on a particular day. If a historian leaves a blank on that day, it means everything is alright: god is in his heaven and all is well with this world. That is a luxury not available for columnists of daily newspapers. So here I am, with nothing to write about, trying to put together a piece. I decided to list my prejudices and predilections in this column, so that people know the premises (where I come from):

- I am against the telangana state, because I have ‘real’ interests in Hyderabad. I own a few plots of land and I am afraid that the formation of a separate T-state may be a problem for me personally.
- I don’t like Arundhati Roy (who should call herself Mary Arundhati, if she has the guts to go by her matriarchal name) because she hops from one cause to another.
- I am not in favor of Y S Jaganmohan Reddy’s Odarpu Yatra because he made it into a Jatara – with hardly any time for the next of kin of those who lost their lives in the wake of Dr Y S Rajasekhara Reddy’s death; because he is trying to milk the legacy of Dr YSR.
- I am all in favor of Dr J. Geetha Reddy as the next CM of Andhra Pradesh. She is educated, is a good communicator, she performs her role well in the cabinet; she is from Telangana and is a woman from the right community. Why not?
- I have no time for the likes of D Srinivas, the PCC chief, who claims that he got Congress to power: whereas he lost the election himself!
- I am against the rat race for IIT admissions and students working overtime – without other distractions. I believe that teenagers have to have other avocations than studies.
- I am not a great fan of N Chandrababu Naidu, who cannot deliver a speech without errors in Telugu; I have no sympathy for him even if he got ‘caned’ by the Maharashtra police.
- I am impressed by the way the Congress High Command is operating and I think it is being managed by a management consulting group – professionally, unlike in the days of Mrs Gandhi Sr, when it was the whims and fancies of the lady at the top that ruled the roost.
- I don’t like KCR and his gimmicks. I am sorry for the bunch of supporters he has – they are, I think misguided; mainly Prof. Jayashankar, whom I knew as a soft-spoken gentleman at CIEFL (now EFLU).
- I have no sympathy for the Maoists, who kill innocents and CRPF jawans, and cannot touch the likes of the Gali brothers of Karnataka who amassed thousands of crores – because they are out of reach of these jokers.
- I worship K Balagopal who spoke up against the Maoists and their misdeeds, and I am very sorry that he is no more.
- I believe that the United States of America is going to cease to be the superpower it is now; in its place, India or China (not India and China) will become the superpower in the days to come.
- I salute Lenin. I admire Trotsky. I respect Mao Tsetung.
- I believe that birds are more evolved than humans – and that is why they took the aerial route of commuting: one in a million airborne humans is sure to die; but no bird dies in flight.
- I am an English teacher by profession but a creative writer by avocation. Check out my blogs at www.sankarar.blogspot.com

No comments:

Post a Comment