Thursday, February 17, 2011

confessions of a new age editor...

Probalda,

Please forgive me for making this public.

I intend this for publication, and I will try to keep this as impersonal as possible.

What was I running away from...

Meaningless meetings at cafe coffee days,
at 50 bucks a shot of caffeine...

where nothing happens over a cup of coffee except a whole in the pocket
[pick pocketters have better ethics]

"Sir, I want the table..."
"Take it away..."
"No sir, someone wants to sit at this table..."
[In other words, get the hell outta here.]

company-sponsored buffet lunches at expensive joints
oh the expense, and then queueing up for darned food like prisoners
what was that stuff again? Runde de la prisonnaires?
Van Gaugh's Prisoners in a circle...

Wannabe-s who think they arrived,
as soon as they get a parking lot in raheja mind(less) spce
In the lounge women come and go,
talking of the Davinci Code...

Running away from...

Power lunches, where you pay through your nose (because it is not sponsored!)
Unlimited internet access at home and at work
And fraudulent email messages...

Someone told me, someone told me, that the Gods believe in nothing!

Women talking of their children and spouses and spices that go into
this or that dish
Utter ignorance of the reality outside the cubicle world...

sheer incompetence, self-preservation, and arrogance

Et muss etwas geschehen!
Et will etwas geschehen (forgive my rusty Deutsche)

And then in the end you sell soap (or try to...)
the heimat, the Irish kind, oh weilest du, mein Prof Tharu?

Stylish people in dirty sport shoes
Gyms in the premises that no one uses
Beer Fridays and buiscuits on the house
Cakes on birthdays and flowers on anniversaries

the ersatz bold and beatific
online activism and the hungersite.com
muttering cabbages on the menu
samosa (mutter sotto voce) at evening snack

Dommari girls, acrobatic exercises by the roadside
Two or three rupees thrown at them
and Backs being patted
claps! windows down. Move on...

Running away from...

hackerdom, the cathedral and the bizarre
fron the open source community and the guy who
sold his soul to Novell (darn I can't recall the name)
Pekka himmanen or Linus Torvalds? the whole bunch of them

the kagaz ki duniya
yeh documents ki kashti

But there is no running away
That is where my day begins...
God save me from the rich and ugly
God, why did it have to be this
Or penury; and disease; and death

Why does it have to be all or none?
How does it matter who cries when I die?

Why don't ya gimme food and let me rest
And not toil for crumbs that cost a bomb?

God, feel free to email me:
Sankarar@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment