Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Mr Perfect: A Clean, Family Entertainer*****

I give this five-star rating for the following reasons:
- Kajal Agarwal’s outstanding performance – when she smiles, she is irresistible; when she cries, being a man, I cried like a baby, with tears rolling down my cheeks!
- Prabhas’ cool outlook and clothes (though he wears a Donna Karan sweatshirt once; wonder if that was intended to appeal to a queer audience!)
- Tapsi in full costume, except in one ‘item’ number: my god, she is cute!
- A fresh look at love, romance, and marriage (and the Hindu undivided fambly), never before seen in Telugu films – or even bollywood flicks. Karan Joker be damned!
- Kajal Agarwal (forget about her performance). Period!

Well, there is a sixth reason, which is this song (forgive my feeble attempt at translating it):

It is chilly, and my mind turns toward you
It’s brilling and the slithy toves did gyre and gimble in the wabe...

Raindrops are falling on my head and my mind is hopping hither thither
And my youth suffocates me...

Small, small hopes are pinching me and pushing off
And small little thoughts pierce my head and kill me, almost...

I feel as if you are with me; as if you are my shadow
As if you are looking at me all the time...

In my dreams you are inside my head whispering sweet nothings
I dream that you are my breath and cause of my breathlessness...

We started off with little fights and bonded over bigger ones
We think different and our styles differ so much...

And yet, and yet, as we go along, we get along so much...
What is it with me and with you? Why, oh why is it such?

==
At this point, in this superbly choreographed number:

“Come on and get into the rain,” says Kajal
And Prabhas mouths a silent “No way”.

And promptly, meekly gets into the rain
Where else do you see this in Telugu films?
==
[The answer is simple: It is a typical K Vishwanath film. I wonder if K Dasarath is somehow related to the great man. But definitely, K V was not just an actor in the movie. He surely had a bigger role to play in the making of it. Consider the ]

I feel as if I am slipping into a valley, as if I am floating into the sky
As if the stars are approaching me, I feel as if something is going on inside of me...

Without hesitation I could show my anger at you in front of all
But now, all alone with you, why am I feeling melee-mouthed to tell you of my love for you?

As if I am moving away from me, when I remember your mischief
And when I want to get back to myself, I feel your steps reaching toward me

==
Folks, get ready for the show of your season. Bombabes, watch out! Kajal Agarwal is gonna hit hard where it hurts – your callsheets and pay checks.

==
Good show, Mr K Dasarath; well done again Dil Raju garu. Keep it up Mrs Anita (and Venkateswara creations)! Let us have some more of these wonderful family entertainers. We are thirsty!

No comments:

Post a Comment