Sunday, June 26, 2011

Remembering Rajanala Sankara Sastry Sr

That was my grandfather. Why, he IS my grandfather. And then came my father and thence me. RSS Sr told me once a story, of a Brahmin on his way to another village. The other village is farther than he thought it was, and around noon, he is desperately hungry and thirsty. He comes across a house in the middle of that nowhere, and the man of the house asks him in, and offers him food. The Brahmin eats with haste, without hesitation. The gent then offers him water (the Brahmin is now satiated). Says: “Paapi (sinner), you want a pure Brahmin like me to drink your unholy water?”

I had a huge disagreement with RSS Sr (henceforth, grandpa). I said: “If a man is hungry and thirsty – alphabetically, hunger (aakali) comes before thirst (dappika). But isn’t it more logical for the Brahmin to have a little water, to have taken rest for a bit; maybe converse with the house-holder on matters spiritual and sacred? Having eaten off the house-holder’s kindness, why not drink a little more of his hospitality?”

Grandpa tried to argue it out on the grounds that hunger is a greater evil than thirst. I am still in two minds on that issue.

==

My uncle tells me that RSS Sr took sanyas, practically, when my father – his eldest or oldest son – refused to learn Smarta; my father, apparently wanted to go for English education, which – as it turns out – is smarter. And so RSS Sr went into what I like to call vaanaprastha (life in the wilderness; “life in bewilderment?”). Poor sap did not know what hit him between the eyes: shit hit him!

And so the breed got smarter and smarter. I can drool in coils and drawl faintings. Ha ha.

==
Ah, there is still the main point of this blog, which makes it a truly weblog. I was talking to my uncle this very p.m., who told me about RSS Sr listening to VividhBharati. There were a barrelful of commercial advertisements, said uncle. And he said: “Grandpa asked: ‘Will all these ads make people want more?”

Huh? Or duh?

==

Boys and girls, I am Rajanala Sankara sastry (that is already a mouthful, so I prefer to not use the Jr tag at the end of my name; suffice it to put sastry with initial lower-cased s.)
==

I have similar questions as did Rajanala Sankara Sastry Sr. About the world as it exists, about the way things are shaping up. Or down…

No comments:

Post a Comment