Friday, July 26, 2013

organized crime

One of my friends used to say that anything organized is a crime. He has a point. Any organization has a 'system' full of rules, and 'administrators' of the rules. There are some smart cookies in any organization who know how to 'game the system'. They are the trouble. Weeklings (or those who play it straight) are at the receiving end of this game. Naturally, the whole point of a game is that it helps you figure who is the winner and who is the loser. Now, losers often don't know all the rules. The administrators ensure that some laws are hidden from the losers. Be that as it may, this argument applies to one and all, including charitable organizations. One example is a meditation course offered by a philanthropic organization. The course is for ten days, and it is free. At the end of it, typically, those who can afford to, may offer a contribution/donation (which amount shall fund future programs. A friend recommended that (he has been to the program dozens of times: I did not see much difference in his character 'before and after' but I thought what the hell, let us give it a try. I was there for 3 days with great forbearance - they packed 3 of us in a small room. The sheets looked like they have last been washed years ago. I could not handle the physical discomfort. And I am a very bad meditator, and I would open my eyes in 5 minutes, when they instructed us to meditate for a half hour. There is a rule (prominently stated), that once you are in, you cannot leave until the end of the ten-day program. The hidden 'rule' (not at all mentioned anywhere) is the one has to cope with bad accommodation and share it with strangers. Anyway, I wanted to bail out and spoke to the Guru. He threw the rule book at me and said now way. With great persuasive skills, I managed to get the hell out of there. At least if I had packed a few sheets, things would have worked better, perhaps. That is a benign organization, and there are no legal papers. I am sure half the crowd go through the program till the end because of the 'rule.' I am not an anarchist. There have to be rules, but there should be a little room for individual freedom. 90 percent of us in various organizations go with the flow but some of us end up feeling suffocated. Of course the losers try to game the system too. But fail. That is why they are losers. I am one of those, it appears.

No comments:

Post a Comment