Sunday, July 21, 2013

The Govern'mental' hospital of vizag

The Govern'mental' hospital at china waltair: A house of insane victims and inhuman staff. visakhakhapatnam has two areas called Waltair: china (small) and peda (big) waltairs. There is governmental hospital in china waltair. It has a high sounding name: Neurosurgigal hospital; however, people call it govern'mental hospital. It is actually a highly guarded prison for poor and haplesss. Those who get psychotic because of hunger and no shelter to sleep under and wander the streets are rounded up and kept in prison cells and fed rather nourishing meals. It is a noble cause and in a poor country like ours, a poor government cannot do better. The sinister thing about it is really, when some of thise 'mad' people resist to be moved into the comfort of those guarded cells, they are beaten up badly by 'ward boys'. I believe these 'boys' with an average age of 40 pull down 20k per month. An entry-levela 'boy' gets a couple of thousands less. An entry-level doctor gets about 15k, I presume. These boys treat everyone as dirt: one kept insisting that I have to shave. How I ended up is an interesting story: I left my job and was at a loose end, drinking away to glory. Things got a bit rough and my sister said do youwant to go into rehab. I said yes, and voluntarily (with the word mentioned) gave a request to them and they admitted me. It was a 'special ward' but there were restrictions on movement, which I could cope with (and with the mosquitoes). But the vast campus could not accommodate a coffee stall or a snack bar: one's 'attendant' (every victim, I mean patient had to have an attendant - relative or paid), had to walk a long distance to bring coffee or samosas. Mercifully, they used to server food, but only to the victims. The sanitary staff were contractors and they haven't been paid for six months and the place was a dump. The sinister thing here is really not the garbage around, buthow do they expect contract employees without pay for six months? That is the govern'mental' hospital for you. All the wellgroomed doctors were blaming the striking contract staff! The reason I mentioned about admitting myself voluntarily was I could not cope with the inhumity of it all. Some patients had attendants but they could not afford to buy food for them from ouside. One old lady used to come to our room and ask if there is any left over food. I asked for discharge after a week. They said No way. Here, we are the ones who decide when you are ok with the finality of God-like finality. In sanskrit, they say: vaidyo (doctor), narayan o'harry! Finally I managed to check out (amd am sane enough to write this sober report on this savage govern'mental' hospital. Another hassle was the only water outlet was the loo. the sink got blocked and there was no other way out for water. Then there was this counselor for de-addiction: Pregant Mishra. She used to torment us in groups. My idea of therapy was a lengthy one-on-one conversation. However, this one was like: Francis, tell me what are the harms of drinking? I told you in the last session. Hmm, you forgot; it is like I am talking to a wall. OK, Tipster, you tell me how you are going to get rid of this habit? ("I thought you were going to tell us?") And the best of all: to one regular vicim - "why do you show up here every six months? why don't you drink until you die at once? I think she got a bit insane talking to crazy people. It was a free hospital, so the doctors and staff including ward 'boys' used to treat everyone as if the victims were parasites. The same governmental staff got paid handsomely and without us, they would be jobless. And the gods must be crazy to have created so many hapless feeble-minded.

No comments:

Post a Comment