Thursday, July 25, 2013

The age of entertainment (adults only)

Maybe I wrote about it already so now I will keep it short. I read this book (borrowed from a library in Singapore); now I cannot find it on any internet site! You know the joke about there being a dog and a man on earth, with a huge machine which does all work. The man's job is to feed the dog and the dog's duty is to make sure the man does not go any where near the equipment. The Age of Entertainment forwards a similar argument: that in the future all the work will be done by machines and all that humans have to do with their time is to keep themselves enertained. It is a pretty entertaining argument. But the only problem is humans are too busy inventing newer and newer machines (what kind of kick that gives them?) The internet got us email and blogs, which is nice but but along came negerian lottery frauds and unsolicited messages offering penile enhancements! In our childhood we had a story called God sees the truth but waits. It is about a guy who is jailed on false charges but after 20 years, the truth is out and he is released (call it a tragicomedy?) Reminds me of Siddhartha's claim: I can think, I can fast, I can wait. We humans, poor souls, cannot fast and wait endlessly - and lose the power to think. Hunger is a bad thing. Some help out through soup kitchens and some through charitable Buffets. Only if you encounter hunger head on, will you understand why some bother to speak up.

No comments:

Post a Comment