Sunday, July 17, 2011

for all those who sarar-ed with me, thus far

You heard about my mom, in these blogs. You read about Sankara Sastry Rjanala Sr, my grandfather, whom I detest. You know a good deal of what I have been through and have been at. Now that you suffered me, sarar-ed with me thus long, thus far - here is one straight from the heart. man to man. father to son. what? son to father.

Actually, it is father to son, as my father gave it to me.

We go on a two-day trip from delhi to hardar and rishikesh. I told him, after we had a dip in the ganges in Hardwar - thought it was safe now - that one has to take (according to the custom in delhi then) as many dips as there are family members. My father already took the usual three dips and we were vending our way home. We stay overnight. The next day, the plan was to go to rishikesh, have a dip and return to delhi by evening. My father had other plans.

He said: Sankara, yesterday I did not get the satisfaction of dipping in the Ganga. I knew what was coming; he wanted to do 30 dips for the united hindu fambly, of which he was god. I said let us go to rishikesh, it is less crowded; we can dip as much as you like. He said, No. Hardwar is a holy place and rishikesh is a sporting hub. Here is where I want another holy dip. He told me I could go back and wait at the ashram for them. I was hot: No thanks, I said. Take your 30 dips, old man! And I counted all thirty.

He was back ashore from the crowd and the muddy ganges, all smiling. He was a wicked old man. Onward we went to risikesh: and right in he went into the waters. I said this is just the beginning. Next year, we will go into char dham.

He said: kid, this is the end, for me.
That was it...

No comments:

Post a Comment