Monday, July 18, 2011

Good morning, Hyderabad...

It is about 4 30 am. [Now as I end this, it is 5 15 am here.] Since this will be on my blog, I will keep it generic.

The first thing was the article by Deepa D.
[For the benefit of late tuners, the link is: http://deepad.dreamwidth.org/29371.html]

It is all about growing up in an English literate env., "deprived" of local/vernacular culture, "un-fortunate-ly" soaked in western culture. When I go to the site, what do I see, but this gold mine: http://www.ted.com/talks/lang/eng/chimamanda_adichie_the_danger_of_a_single_story.html

Listen and enjoy! Gosh, whatever the writer was who spoke of the god of small stories was brilliant. God of all things? That rings a bell.

/single stories\
\duplex stories/

all the same to a fakir
of the thoroughfare...

==


It may take a couple reads for it to sink in. I find there are nuances that I didn't appreciate the first time.





... a huge concern for the U.S. electrical infrastructure; ... the latest Scientific American.




So, for the first one: about little girls brought up among snow-whilte stories; single stories: Deepa D does bring to forth some unspoken issues. I have no locus standi on that.

Whereof we cannot talk, thereof we must remain silent.


Cut down on air travel, is what I would recommend. The U.S. is primitive! there are no buses or trains connecting the large tracts of land from california to cincinnati, as I discovered when i was in the u.s. I was eager to meet a friend there, and said how about if I hop on to a bus? He laughed and said: that will take you two days to get here!

Ho hum!



False hopes are north; reality is west
empty dreams are east
and I think Louisiana is south
-- No kaddish for Weinbrenner

No comments:

Post a Comment